Best Cell Phone Signal Boosters for home
We give our recommendations for the best home cell signal boosters in addition to basic information on cellular amplification.
Want to Skip to the Product Recommendations?
Click below to skip to our best booster recommendations organized by use case.
Best Cell Phone Boosters for Home
Spotty signal in your own house is beyond frustrating for many people. Whether you are in the middle of the city, a suburban or rural home, or in a hunting cabin off the grid with weak cell service, cell boosters can improve your voice and data signal.
Below we’ve compiled a list of the best cell phone boosters for their specific uses. The products listed are from quality, trusted brands in the cell booster space that we recommend to customers that are attempting to improve weak cellular signal.
All booster products sold on the SIMETRY store are FCC-approved. These boosters do not interfere with WiFi or require an internet connection.
When considering which kit is best for your situation, keep in mind:
- Directional outdoor antennas reach signals from cell towers that are farther away, when compared with omni antennas, that reach out in 360°. However, directional antennas typically just boost the towers they are directed towards, so one carrier signal is boosted at a time
- Omni-directional outdoor antennas grab signal from signal towers in 360°. So it is possible to get all of the major carriers boosted at once, however a directional antenna will have greater range
- Whip/omni-directional indoor antennas will spread the boosted signal across the room in all directions from the antenna’s position
- Indoor panel antennas work best when mounted towards specific weak signal points
- Why not get the max coverage products designed for larger homes? For one, the large home boosters are more expensive, but most importantly the indoor and outdoor antennas work better when they are further apart and the more gain, the more space they typically need to avoid signal interference. It is important to get the right booster for your specific needs
Best mid-size home signal booster kit
For mid-size homes with weak phone signal, we recommend these kits that provide great coverage. The following booster have the maximum gain allowed for multiple-carrier stationary cell boosters.
SureCall’s Fusion4Home is the most powerful home cell booster for mid-sized homes. The outside Yagi directional antenna grabs signal from a concentrated direction, giving your booster the strongest potential outside signal to amplify.
- Boosts signal strength in 2-3 rooms, up to 5,000 sq. ft.
- Recommended if a single carrier signal needs to be boosted
- Recommended for rural or suburban homes with weak outside signal
See Also: SureCall Fusion4Home Kit with Yagi Outside Antenna and Omni Whip for an omni-directional indoor output option, no inside panel mounting required, and a price break.
SureCall’s Fusion4Home is the most powerful home cell booster for mid-sized homes. The outside omni-directional antenna grabs signal from all directions, providing your booster with the strongest cell tower signals to amplify. The whip antenna makes for a simple indoor install.
- Boosts signal strength in 2-3 rooms, up to 2,000 sq. ft.
- Recommended if multiple carrier signals need to be boosted at once
- Recommended if outside signal is fairly strong
Best cell signal boosters for Large Homes
For large homes and small to mid-size offices, we recommend these kits that are designed to improve signal strength over large areas.
weBoost’s Home Complete is the most powerful home cell booster for large homes and small to mid-sized offices. The outside directional antenna points the cell tower with the strongest signal available.
- Boosts signal strength up to 7,500 sq. ft.
- Recommended if a single carrier needs to be boosted
- Recommended for rural or suburban homes with weak outside signal (because of directional outside antenna)
weBoost’s Home Complete is the second most powerful home cell booster for large homes and small to mid-sized offices from weBoost. The outside directional antenna points the cell tower with the strongest signal available.
- Boosts signal strength up to 5000 sq. ft.
- Recommended if a single carrier needs to be boosted
- Recommended for rural or suburban homes (because of directional outside antenna)
Best Cell phone Booster for small home or apartment
The best cell boosters for apartments smaller homes and small offices improve coverage over concentrated areas. When considering which kit is best for your situation, keep in mind:
- You don’t need a booster with a large coverage area, there such a thing as booster overkill which will not improve cell signal
- Space in an apartment is limited, so look for a kit with a smaller indoor antenna
weBoost’s Home Cell Phone Signal Kit is the ideal large one-room, small home, or apartment cell booster. The outside antenna has a few mounting options and the indoor antenna is compact enough to sit practically anywhere.
- Boosts signal strength up to 1,500 sq. ft.
- Recommended if multiple carrier signals need improvement
- Recommended for smaller spaces such as apartments or one room in your house
Best value Cell phone Booster for Home
The booster listed here provides the best coverage and cell reception improvement for the best price. If you are looking for a highly-recommended affordable cell signal booster, check out the SureCall Flare 3.0.
SureCall’s Flare 3.0 is the most powerful cell signal booster in it’s class. The directional outside antenna will pick up signal from a tower far away. In a departure from most booster kits, the amplifier also contains the inside antenna. Power and modern design for a great price.
- Boosts signal strength up to 3,500 sq. ft.
- Flare device is both the booster and the inside antenna
- Recommended if multiple carrier signals need to be improved
Easiest setup booster For Home
The Cel-Fi Pro has the easiest setup on the list. These boosters are carrier-specific to AT&T, so devices with other carriers are out of luck. That being said, the coverage area and easy install make this cell booster a win.
- Boosts signal strength up to 13,000 sq. ft. (or up to 2X the distance between the CU and NU
- No antennas required
- Recommended if just AT&T signal need to be improved
Best boosters for a rural cottage, cabin, or house
When boosting cell signal in a rural or remote area with outside weak signal, you will want to use a directional outdoor antenna. Directional antennas will gather the best signal from the closest cell tower which can be few and far between in remote areas.
We recommend the powerful SureCall Fusion4Home to make the most of a weak signal.
SureCall’s Fusion4Home is the most powerful in its class and price range. Consistently highly-recommended, the outside Yagi directional antenna grabs signal from a concentrated direction, giving your booster the strongest potential outside signal.
- Boosts signal strength up to 5,000 sq. ft.
- Recommended if a single carrier signal needs to be boosted
- Recommended for suburban or rural homes, cabins, or cottages with weak outside signal
See Also: SureCall Flare 3.0 with a directional outdoor antenna. We recommend a directional outdoor antenna for rural areas with weak outdoor signal no matter what booster you choose.
Best hybrid mobile & stationary cell booster
There are very few cell signal amplifiers that can act as both a stationary and mobile booster. The Cel-Fi Go G32 (Go+) allows you to switch between stationary mode and mobile with their Cel-Fi WAVE app. The GO+ allows for carrier switching as well, but only boosts one carrier signal at a time.
The Cel-Fi Pro is designed for businesses and large homes with a powerful 100dBm gain in stationary mode and 65 dB while in mobile mode. These boosters allow multi-carriers through carrier switching, but only boost one signal at a time.
- Boosts signal strength up to 15,000 sq. ft.
- Kit includes a directional outdoor antenna and directional indoor panel antenna
- Recommended if one carrier signal needs improvement at a time
Things to Remember When Installing Your Home Cell Booster DIY
- Keep a distance of at least 20 ft. vertically or 50 ft. horizontally between your outside and inside antennas. If your indoor/outdoor antennas are too close in proximity, their signals will interfere with each other and your booster automatically shut down (also known as oscillation).
- You need some cell signal in order to boost it. In other words, if you do not have any signal at all, your booster will most likely not work. Directional antennas pointed in the direction of the cell tower with the strongest local signal may help.
- Outside antennas typically work better the higher they are mounted outside (on your roof, attic, or window facing the nearest cell tower if the roof is not accessible).
- Install your indoor antenna in the room where you need the strongest signal. The boosted signal will be confined to your house.
Intro to Cell Phone Signal Boosters
Have you ever lost phone signal during an important business call or had a dropped call when talking with a family member? We’ve all been there. Bad cell phone signal is something we can all relate to at one point or another.
Consistently weak cell signal in your house or place of business is both frustrating and potentially costly. Even though most of the US is “covered” by the major carriers, circumstances such as large building size, outside signal interference from surrounding structures, dense building materials or metal walls, competing cell towers, and many other factors contribute to weak cell signal and spotty coverage.
How to improve cell phone signal?
Fortunately, with cell phone signal boosters, there is a way to improve bad cell phone coverage. Below we will review the ways cell phone boosters improve your signal and provide consistent coverage, how cell boosters work, the multiple use cases for signal boosters, and the best cell phone boosters for each use case.
What is a cell phone booster?
Cell phone boosters improve your cellular signal strength and reliability which improves call quality and data speeds. Boosters extend cell phone range for 3G signal, 4G LTE signal, and 5G when its available.
Cell signal boosters are key to providing reliable coverage for remote areas, large offices, homes with weak signal, and other areas where signal is weakened by obstructions or distance.
In many cases cell boosters are used as a range extender for remote areas or while travelling in areas that test the limits of cell signal towers.
How do cell phone boosters work?
Cell phone boosters (cellular amplifiers, cell repeaters, cell signal repeaters) amplify the cell signal coming to and from your phone to a nearby cell tower.
Cellular amplifiers boost weak signal using three main components:
- An external antenna that captures the outside cell phone signal (also known as a “donor antenna”)
- The amplifier (booster) that improves the weak signal
- An indoor antenna that rebroadcasts the boosted signal inside your home, work space, or vehicle.
- To connect these devices, you need coax cables (the right size). These deliver the high-frequency signals from the external antenna, the amplifier, and the indoor antenna with very low signal loss. Frequently, boosters are sold along with antennas and cable as a kit.
Keep in mind boosters require existing signal to work; they cannot boost a signal that is not there. So, if you don’t have a signal, the booster has nothing to work with.
Cell signal boosters are a one-time cost. Signal boosters do not require WiFi or subscription fees, and do not add to your recurring cell phone bill.
Most cell phone boosters are conveniently bundled in cell booster kits, which include the booster/amplifier, external antenna, indoor antenna and usually the coax cables used to connect them all together.
Skip to our top options for home cell booster kits
SIMETRY offers cell signal booster kits as well as individual indoor and outdoor antennas. If you already have a booster and want to replace an antenna, shop individual antennas here.
Are cell phone boosters carrier-specific?
Boosters are rarely carrier-specific. However, there are some models that only work with one provider.
Additionally, there are single-carrier signal boosters and multi-carrier boosters.
Single-carrier boosters that only work with one carrier at a time, so if you have multiple people with multiple devices and varying carriers, only one signal is enhanced.
Multi-carrier boosters work at a wider range of frequencies and therefore work with any carrier using 3G, 4G LTE, and 5G (where available).
AT&T Cell Signal Booster
If you are looking to enhance your AT&T cell signal, you can use a single-carrier signal booster or a multi-carrier signal booster.
AT&T has a few carrier-specific options. For a powerful booster with simple set-up, check out the Cel-Fi Pro Smart Signal Booster for AT&T. It is designed specifically for boosting AT&T signal. Alternatively, the Cel-Fi Go offers 100 dB gain for AT&T with carrier-switching.
If you would like to boost more than just one network signal, our best multi-carrier booster picks are listed below.
Verizon Cell Signal Booster
If you want to boost your Verizon cell signal, you can use a single-carrier signal booster or a multi-carrier signal booster.
The Cel-Fi Go offers 100 dB gain for Verizon with carrier-switching. Carrier-switching allows you to select the specific carrier signal you would like to boost, but does not allow for more than one carrier’s signal to be boosted at a time. We get into gain and what that means below.
Our best multi-carrier booster picks are listed below.
T-Mobile Cell Signal Booster
Where would you use a cell phone booster?
Cell signal boosters are used for both static and mobile applications. Static cell amplification use cases include home, office, warehouse, and industrial applications. Use cases for mobile cell phone boosters include signal boosters for semi-trucks, cars, RVs and campers.
In order for a cell booster to work, there must be some existing signal. Boosters cannot create a signal, they can only strengthen and improve.
If your home gets good cell signal outside, but spotty coverage inside, a cell booster would greatly improve your cell signal strength inside. Home boosters are specifically designed to amplify signal within the walls of your house.
You can eliminate dropped calls from home and improve your cell signal with a simple-install booster kit. With a home network booster, bring outside cell signal into your home and improve weak cell and 4g data signals inside.
How to Locate Nearby Cell Towers
Choosing the best home booster by specifications
Gain (measured in dB) is an important variant amongst boosters, measuring how much your booster will amplify the existing signal – the maximum gain from multi-carrier home boosters is 64-72 dB. Maximum gain for single-carrier home boosters is 100 dB, as regulated by the FCC.
Downlink output power (measured in dBm) measures the maximum signal the booster can transmit inside your home. You will want more dBm for more area.
With home cell signal boosters, you will also want to consider uplink output power (measured in dBm), or the strength of the signal leaving your device towards the cell tower.
- If your outside signal is weak and measures less than -80 dBm, focus on gain. Single-carrier boosters (such as Cel-Fi) are the best choice because they have the highest maximum gain.
- If your outside signal is relatively strong and measures higher than -70 dBm, focus on downlink output power. Multi-carrier boosters are a great option in this case, as it gives your booster more flexibility to pick up the strongest signal and benefit devices from multiple carriers.
Table of Contents
Looking for Vehicle Cell Phone Signal Boosters?
Check out our article all about the vehicle cell phone boosters for cars, trucks, and RVs along with our best vehicle booster product recommendations.
Want to shop all of the boosters in the SIMETRY Store?
For more home cell boosters, vehicle boosters, and enterprise boosters, checkout the SIMETRY Store.
Sort by manufacturer and usage to find exactly what you are looking for.